Sunday, September 11, 2011

Womanhood, Sisterhood, Relief Society & Christ

The Church recently produced a book entitled “Daughters in my Kingdom: history and work of the Relief Society”   On the book’s webpage there are  quotes and excerpts from that are worth sharing and reflecting on. 

In our ward each sister will receive their own copy at a dinner before the General Relief Society Broadcast. What better way to share in unity and sisterhood than sitting, like Mary, at the Saviors feet together as sisters as we hear the words of our church leaders. 

image “The world's greatest champion of woman and womanhood is Jesus the Christ.” James E. Talmage, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 3

“As women participate in Relief Society, they serve as valiant disciples of Jesus Christ in the work of salvation.” Daughters in My Kingdom, page 7

“Every sister … who has made covenants … has a divine mandate to help save souls [and] and to lead the women of the world.”  M. Russell Ballard, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 25

“We must cherish one another, watch over one another, comfort one another and gain instruction, that we may all sit down in heaven together.” —Lucy Mack Smith, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 25

image “I stress … the deep need each woman has to study the scriptures. We want our homes to be blessed with sister scriptorians.”  Spencer W. Kimball, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 50

Relief Society sisters will become a powerful influence for good as they “reflect righteousness and articulateness in their lives.”  Spencer W. Kimball, in Daughters in My Kingdom, pages 50-51

“It is for you to lead the world and to lead especially the women of the world. … You are the head, not the tail.” Joseph F. Smith, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 66clip_image015

“Our eternal happiness will be in proportion to the way that we devote ourselves to helping others.” George Albert Smith, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 77

“Women of the Church are [to be] seen as distinct and different—in happy ways—from the women of the world.” Spencer W. Kimball, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 95

“We are the Lord's hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and to lift His children.” Thomas S. Monson, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 103Christ with Mary and Martha Henryk Semiradsky, 1886

“We cannot always lift the burden of one who is troubled, but we can lift her so she can bear it well.”  Elaine L. Jack, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 119

“Let me say to you sisters that you do not hold a second place in our Father's plan. … You are an absolutely essential part of that plan.”  Gordon B. Hinckley, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 143

“There is nothing in this world as personal, as nurturing, or as life changing as the influence of a righteous woman.” M. Russell Ballard, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 156 image

“The ability to qualify for, receive, and act on personal revelation is the single most important skill that can be acquired in this life.”  Julie B. Beck, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 158

“If you live up to your privilege, the angels cannot be restrained from being your associates. … If you will be pure, nothing can hinder.”  Joseph Smith, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 169

clip_image016

~ Relief Society ~

“The Church was never perfectly organized until the women were thus organized.” Joseph Smith, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 7

“This organization is divinely made, divinely authorized, divinely instituted, divinely ordained of God.” Joseph F. Smith, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 7 

“The Relief Society was established by the spirit of inspiration, and has been guided by that spirit [ever since].” Joseph Fielding Smith, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 13

“[Relief Society] should be a select society, separate from all the evils of the world, choice, virtuous, and holy.” Joseph Smith, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 15

clip_image020

“If all the sisters will rally to the support of [Relief Society], it will accomplish a mighty work.” Lorenzo Snow, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 19

“The [Relief] Society is not only to relieve the poor, but to save souls.” Joseph Smith, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 24

image Relief Society is “relief of poverty, relief of illness; relief of doubt, relief of ignorance—relief of all that hinders the joy and progress of woman.” John A. Widtsoe, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 25

“There is power in this organization [of Relief Society] that has not yet been fully exercised … nor will it until both the sisters and the priesthood catch the vision of Relief Society.” Spencer W. Kimball, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 142

clip_image018“This great circle of sisters will be a protection for each of you and for your families.” Boyd K. Packer, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 81

“We are part of a grand whole. We need each other to make our sisterhood complete.” Elaine L. Jack, in Daughters in My Kingdom, page 94

“Relief Society should be organized, aligned, and mobilized to strengthen families and help our homes to be sacred sanctuaries from the world.” Julie B. Beck, in Daughters in My Kingdom, pages 96–97

Relief Society

No comments:

Post a Comment